A very successful season for the Under 14 Hampton Rovers boys this season, taking all before them winning the Premiership (the 1st for Hampton Rovers team in Division 1) and going through the season undefeated. In fact at the end of the home & away season their percentage was a massive 871%.
There were many highs (and a couple of lows) throughout the season. 1st the lows and unfortunately 3 of our boys suffered severe injuries that would see them miss the entire season with 2 others missing a large part of the season, thank god for depth! All 3 boys are looking forward to re-joining their team mates in season 2009.
That done, many highs were achieved this season as follows:-
– 8 of our boys were selected to represent the MSJFL in interleague duties across the 2 sides. 6 played in the metro champs (Alex Woltering, Joshua McPherson, Alex Whalebone, Zdenek Hostalek, Sean Guiney, Alex Whalebone & Jack O?Riley) and acquitted themselves very well. Alex Woltering was voted best on ground in the final game (after receiving 2nd best player nominations for the 1st 2 games). The other 2 boys (Tate Crampton & Alex Shulman) both played against the Adelaide squad and Tate Crampton was also voted best on ground in this game.
– Alex Woltering was named as the Interleague captain for the metro side.
– We went on to win the Premiership in trying conditions by 47 points defeating Beaumaris in the grand final.
– Alex Woltering won the MSJFL league best & fairest
– Zdenek Hostalek was the leading goal kicker in the league this season
– Our award winners for season 2008 were:- Best & Fairest – Alex Woltering, R/Up Best & Fairest – Alex Whalebone, Leading Goal Kicker – Zdenek Hostalek, Most Consistent – Sean Guiney, & Coaches Award – Josh McPherson.
We have had an outstanding year and this group of young men have been a real pleasure to coach. Thanks to all of them for making it a memorable season. I?d also like to thank my Asst Coach/runner – Grant O?Riley, Team Manager – Andrew Guiney, Trainer – Chris Ferrari & all of the parents for assisting where required to make it a memorable one.
Andrew Mirams – Coach