Rovers go missing in final quarter

In magnificent weather, Hampton Rovers took on traditional rivals Old Essendon Grammarians at Boss James Reserve on Saturday.  Following two close defeats, this was a game the Rovers were keen to win.


The Rovers were boosted by Michael Fletcher, playing in his 150th senior game, and Denver Artz, both back from injury. The Rovers took control of the game right from the opening bounce and quickly had five goals on the board.  Talls Browne and Power were on song, as were midfielders, Ben Artz, Garry Carr, and Lachie Wheeler.  Old Essendon steadied and at the first change the Rovers led by 17 points.


The Rovers extended the lead to 25 points in the second quarter and the much sought after win was looking promising.  This lead was extended early in the third quarter, but then the game was transformed dramatically as Old Essendon’s running players took control.  Five unanswered goals from the visitors saw them hit the front, but a goal from Anthony Browne right on the siren for the Rovers meant a slight two point lead for the home team at the final break.


In the final quarter, Old Essendon ran away from a determined Rovers and ran out victors by 23 points.


Hampton Rovers 19.14.128 were defeated by Old Essendon 23.13.151.

Goalkickers for HRAFC: Browne 5, Power 4, B Artz 3, Lawrence 3, Burggraaff 2, Boyd 1, Rayson 1.

Best Players: Browne, Rayson, Wheeler, Carr, B Artz, Lawrence.


Visit the Photo Gallery for a few shots of the game.


In the earlier game a depleted Reserves side lost to Old Essendon with Blick, Lake, Bulmer all performing well.


While the third place on the ladder under 19 team went down by 8 points in a very close encounter with the neighbouring Beaumaris. Best players for the Rovers were skipper Ben Kezilas, Cam Christiansen and Gary Giasoumi.

Official Website of the Hampton Rovers Amateur Football Club | Established 1929


Site by
CV Media

Rovers Newsletter


© 2024 Hampton Rovers AFC Inc | All Rights Reserved

To Top