The Great Escape: Rovers beat Bullants

Rob Alexander. Click Here for more photos.
Photo by Berk McGowan
Click Here for more

All look lost in the last quarter when the Rovers took on Bulleen Templestowe at Boss James Reserve on Saturday. The away side had stretched their lead to 23 points in a low scoring game. But a sensational 10 minute blast from the Rovers with 6 goals gave the home team a 12 point win.

The Rovers weren?t on their game all day however they showed their class in the dying stages to snatch the win and make it eight straight victories.

The Rovers kicked two goals in the opening term and held a 8 point lead at quarter time. Four goals to Bulleen in the second term and two to the Rovers gave the away side a 3 point lead at the main break.

Both teams failed to kick a major in the third quarter however it was the Bullants who were rueing their missed opportunities as they kicked 6 behinds. So far it had been an uninspiring game of footy and the Rovers needed to find something if they were to keep their winning streak alive.

It was Bulleen Templestowe though who came out more determined in the final quarter. They kicked three goals and looked likely to take the four points. However out of nowhere, the Rovers found a spark and managed 6 goals in the final 10 minutes of the game including 3 to Luke Dallas and singles to Anton Duddy, Mark Ferrari and Gary Carr. It was more than they had kicked for the entire game and it gave Hampton a 12 point win crushing the finals hopes of Bulleen.

The 8th straight win equals the record for the Hampton Rovers Seniors which was set in the premiership year of 1995. The boys will be looking to make it an outright record when they take on Peninsula Old Boys away next week.

Leigh De Boer, Gary Carr and Gerrard Woods were best on ground for the Rovers while Luke Dallas finished with 3 goals, Leigh De Boer 2 and singles to Daniel Andersen in his 100th senior game, Carr, Duddy, Ferrari and Ting.

The Reserves recorded a comfortable 61 point victory over Bulleen Templestowe. After an eight goal opening term and keeping the Bullants scoreless, they could only manage one goal in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. However they turned it on again in the last booting a further 7 goals to record a strong win. Jeremy Yelland led the goal kicking with 5, all coming from the first quarter. Two goals each to Evans, Gray, Pucella and Quon with singles to Anderson, Cooper, Henry and Rootsey. Best for the Rovers were Yelland, Fisher, Verlin, Mason, Oriti and Constantinou.

The story of the day was David Anderson who played his 300th club game. The younger brother of Steven, David first played for the club in 1987 and has played 187 games in the seniors/reserves. Also running through the banner was Anthony Quon who played his 150th senior game for the Rovers.

The Under 19’s went down to Old Haileybury. The loss ends their five game winning streak.

HAMPTON ROVERS  2.1  4.5  4.6  10.9 (69)
BULLEEN TEMPLESTOWE  0.5  4.8  4.14  7.15 (57)
Goals: Dallas 3, De Boer 2, Andersen, Carr, Duddy, Ferrari, Ting.
Best: De Boer, Carr, Woods, Burggraaff, Duddy, L.Fletcher.

Click Here for more photos from the game.

Official Website of the Hampton Rovers Amateur Football Club | Established 1929


Site by
CV Media

© 2024 Hampton Rovers AFC | All Rights Reserved

To Top