Rovers struggle against Caulfield

Top four teams Hampton Rovers and Old Caulfield Grammarians met at Boss James Reserve on Saturday with the visitors coming away with the four points.


Once again, perfect weather conditions greeted the players and the crowd was the biggest seen at the Rovers’ Bluff Rd headquarters this year.  Rovers’ youngster Mark Devereaux, playing his first season of senior football, was in scintillating form up forward and snapped four goals in the first quarter.  The pace of the game was hectic and the quality of football high. Eleven goals were scored in the first quarter and at the first break the Rovers had a 3-point lead – 6.1.37 to 5.4.34


Old Caulfield took control of the game in the second quarter and piled on six goals to the home team’s three.  The Fielders big men were winning in the rucks and their runners proved to be too fast and elusive for the Rovers who continued to put in.  At the main break the Rovers trailed 9.3.57 to 11.7.73 but were well in contention.


The Rovers were kept goalless in the third quarter as Old Caulfield’s speed took its toll on the home team who trailed by 9.5 59 to 13.10.88 at the final break.


The final quarter was even and the final margin was 29 points as it had been at three quarter time.  Rovers 12.8.80 defeated by Old Caulfield 16.13.109.


For the Rovers, state team representative Gary Carr starred with 41 possessions, as did Mark Devereaux with 7 goals.  Other best players included Daniel Andersen and Nick Greenwood.


The Rovers who are now fifth on the ladder and one game out of the four have a break next Saturday and play again on June 19.



The Rovers reserves won 12.9.81 to Old Caulfield’s 11.6.72 to move into second place on the ladder.  It was a stirring come from behind win.


While in the under 19s, Hampton Rovers were beaten by South Melbourne Districts.

Official Website of the Hampton Rovers Amateur Football Club | Established 1929


Site by
CV Media

© 2024 Hampton Rovers AFC | All Rights Reserved

To Top