Students outpoint Rovers

Hampton Rovers suffered a disappointing 9-point loss against Monash Blues at Monash University on Saturday.


Monash Blues, who were winless before Saturday’s game, jumped the Rovers with three quick goals early in the match.  The Rovers then bounced back with two goals to Adam Power and one to Matt Lawrence to trail by 13 points at the first break. It was a margin that could have been greater if not for the Blues’ inaccurate kicking.


The second quarter was vastly different to the first as the Rovers rucks and fleet of onballers led by Gary Carr and Travis Barker exerted their authority. Rovers spearhead Power kicked his fourth goal late in the quarter and at the main break the Rovers held a slender 5-point lead.


Just as the Rovers had dominated the second quarter, so did Monash in the third. At the final break the home team were back in front by 15 points and it was definitely game on.


The final quarter opened with two goals to the Students before Anthony Browne bombed a goal from over 50 metres out.  Onballer Steven Anderson playing another solid game also goaled from a long way out and an intriguing finish loomed.  The Rovers pushed hard to close the margin, but in the end fell short by nine points with Monash Blues the winners 12.18.90 to 12.9.81.


Best for the Rovers were Gerard Woods, Michael Davey, Gary Carr, Anthony Browne, Travis Barker, James McCarthy and Steven Anderson.


With two wins and two losses the Rovers are fourth on the ladder and face top team Melbourne High at Boss James Reserve next Saturday.


The Reserves were defeated for the first time this season going down by 35 points. Finals scores were Monash Blues 16.9.105 defeated Hampton Rovers 10.10.70. Best on ground for the Rovers were Matt Terech, Brenton Henry and Anton Duddy. While the Under 19s were defeated by Bentleigh in a one sided game.

Official Website of the Hampton Rovers Amateur Football Club | Established 1929


Site by
CV Media

© 2024 Hampton Rovers AFC | All Rights Reserved

To Top