U17s merge with U19s for remainder of 2012 season
Published: Wednesday 25th April 2012 12:00 AM by HRAFC
The Hampton Rovers committee and coaches have decided that the U17s will merge with the U19s for the remainder of the 2012 season due to a lack of numbers predominately at the U17 level.
The Club feels this is the best way to ensure all boys enjoy their footy in 2012. In the first two weeks of the season, six U17 players had already been assisting the U19s by playing for them also.
After many phone calls, emails and time the Under 17 Hampton Rovers coaches, team managers and members of the committee have made this tough decision not to continue with an U17 team this season. The reasons for this decision are outlined below:
- Our squad is too small – we average only 13 or 14 kids available each week and it’s unrealistic to expect that the U16s will provide us with 3-4 players.
- Due to the fixture of the first 4 rounds we came up against teams that were predominantly Division one players and we struggled to field a team and be competitive.
- The fundamental problem is that we do not have enough players, and only a handful of our boys have experience at Div 1 level. While many of the others are capable of playing at Div 1 level they will not have an opportunity to rotate and be supported by a bench.
- If the goal is that these boys enjoy their football, The Club believes it better that they play in a competitive U19 team rather than an undermanned U17 team that gets thrashed every week – and possibly will be unable to field a team each week.
- Will their football skills improve if they have to do everything under extreme pressure (eg as they’re likely to face all season in U17)?
- The majority of our registered players do not have Saturday school sporting commitments so the move to playing Under 19’s on a Saturday should not be too much of an issue.
- See Under 19 fixture for Saturday game times – times vary from 9.20am to 2pm
- Under 19 squad has a fluctuating list of only 12 -14 players, so there will be no concerns about game time. In fact, with a total squad of about 26, our rejuvenated U 19 team will enable coaches and players to plan and enjoy season 2012.
Players have been communicated with in regard to this decision and we’re pleased to say only two players are unable to continue with the merged U19 side, due to unavailability on Saturday’s.
Click Here to visit the Under 19s team page >>