Hampton Rovers first started as an
organised activity for the
1st Hampton Scout group in 1918. The Scout Group's main
theme was to promote football as a team game and
encourage self-confidence, self-control and the desire
of a player to improve his ability. This is similar to
the current philosophy used by Hampton Rovers today.
Initially games were played socially
against other Scout Groups, but as the incentive to play in a higher standard
became apparent, another competition was sought. The club as we know it today
was established in 1929.
In 1931 Hampton Rovers was admitted
to the Metropolitan Football League and played Richmond United at Burnley in its
In 1933 the club joined the
Victorian Amateur Football Association (a competition in which the club still
participates today) and changed the colours to the current Green & Gold.
1963 saw the club move from Ludstone
Street to our present home on the corner of David Street and Bluff Road.
In 2002 this ground was formally named “Boss James Reserve” in memory of the
In 1979 the club started its youth
policy by introducing Junior Grades. The aims were to provide an extensive link
with the local community and a development scheme and feeder base for the senior
sides. Since then 28 Junior premierships as well as 10 lightning premierships have resulted and
the club's future is
Hampton Rovers has maintained an
honest and hard-working approach to its administration and has a deeply etched
tradition, not only with the VAFA and MSJFL, but with the community
at large. The club also maintains a high profile with the local media.
Every attempt is made to make
welcome at Hampton Rovers, not only as players, but also as helpers and
supporters. In return we ask that you give 100% commitment towards our continued
success, both on and off the field, respect and carry out all directions and
adhere to the Code of Ethics.
View Hampton Rovers history on our Facebook Timeline